B.O.A.

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
OF THE BRITISH OCTOPUSH ASSOCIATION HELD ON 25 APRIL 1999
AT THE QUEENS HOTEL, CRYSTAL PALACE, LONDON

Meeting Notes
Appendices:
Voting Representatives Vice Chair's Report Treasurer/Membership's Report
1997/98 Accounts 1998/99 Accounts Coaching Director's Report
Welsh Rep's Report B.U.S.A. Report B.O.A. Resolutions


Apologies for absence

1. Apologies were received from Marion Sheffield and Keith Hadland. The list of clubs represented and eligible to vote is attached (Annex 1).


Approval of the minutes of the last Annual General Meeting of the BOA

2. The minutes of the last BOA Annual General Meeting were approved.


Officers’ reports

3. The following reports were made:


Vice-Chairman (Marion Sheffield)

4. See attached report (Annex 2).


Treasurer (Keith Hadland)

5. See attached report (Annexes 3-5).


National Referee (Neil Dixon)

6. Neil Dixon reported that seven referees’ courses had been run this year. A further two courses were already organised for next year. All courses were self-financing. In response to questions about how to get on a course, Neil explained that courses were normally set up in response to requests by individual clubs, the individual club was responsible for who it invited. Occasionally "regional" courses were run. Neil agreed to look at ways to publicise courses next year. During discussion it became clear that the fees/payments for these courses did not go through the BOA accounts. Neil agreed to ensure that all future fees/payments went through the treasurer and would contact the Treasurer to set up a sensible way of doing this. Colin Dellor pointed out that the Sports Council funded Referees’ courses and was worth investigating as a further source of income.


Competitions’ Manager (Antoine Mourad)

7. Antoine reported that he had run a number of tournaments this year – all of which had been successful and profit making. The BOA now had a supply of timers, whistles, pucks etc for use at tournaments. He announced that he had already booked the Crystal Palace pool for next years’ tournaments. The dates are:

20 November - Nautilus

08 January - Inter-regional

4-5 March - Round-robin

01 April - Finals

8. Antoine announced that he was standing down and thanked those that had helped and supported him, in particular – Cliff Underwood, Tony Drakard and Alun Mitchell.


Director of Coaching (Clare Ash)

9. See attached report (Annex 6). The report prompted Colin Dellor (Pembroke) to point out that the amount of work involved in setting up a coaching scheme was too much for one person and thought that the new Committee should seriously consider dividing up the work.


Publications Manager/Records Officer/CMAS Representative (Cliff Underwood)

10. Cliff reported that there were 102 clubs playing (including non-BOA member clubs). Cliff confirmed that he intended to retire at this AGM. He apologised for not being able to put out more BOA newsletters this year than he would have liked and offered to give his replacement whatever support they needed.


Mens’ elite co-manager (Dave Simpson)

11. Dave reported that the squad was in training for the European Championships. Despite the efforts of Antoine Mourad to get players to try out he still had a very small pool of players to choose from. For whatever reason, too many players just dropped out and didn’t give it a proper go. For example, after doing all the training, the Southport players didn’t turn up for this morning’s final squad selection session. It was very disappointing. There was a lack of talented players for him to draw from. He felt that the BOA needed to look at funding for squad training sessions.


International General Manager (Antoine Mourad)

12. Antoine reported that he had tried "everything" to get players to try out for all the squads. He was fed up with all the "whingers" that complained about the old system and didn’t turn up when we changed the system this year. He wondered if it would be best to take "Under 21" squads to international competitions and "start again". He also thought that there needed to be more "committed" rather than "social" hockey clubs. In discussion, Alison Wheeler pointed out that there could be practical difficulties with getting younger players involved such as getting them to Crystal palace from all over the country.


Development Officer (Martin Reed)

13. Martin explained that it had been difficult for him to more than setting up the web-site given that he was currently working in Germany. He reported that the BOA web-site was "live" and had unlimited space giving us unlimited potential to provide services to our members. Martin was keen for feedback on the site so that he could see if improvements were needed. During discussion it was agreed that information on junior hockey be put on the site and that all items to go on the web-site should go to Martin via the BOA Secretary.


Junior/Youth Co-ordinator (Kevin Hyman)

14. Kevin reported that two competitions had been organised – an U13’s competition on 15 May at Crystal Palace and U15, U16, & U21 competitions on 12 June at Crystal Palace. Apart from the U21 competition, the responses from teams had been good. During discussion, it became clear that the timing of events (i.e. near exam-time) was a problem that affected whether teams could compete in events. Communication also seemed to be a problem that needed to be addressed. Kevin thought that more Committee meetings might help.


Welsh Area Representative (Colin Dellor)

15. See attached report (Annex 7).


Secretary (Grant Mosedale)

16. Grant made no BOA report but gave a brief report on BUSA (Annex 8).


Chair (Bernie Tarling)

17. Bernie announced that he was standing down at this AGM. He explained that he had been pushed into the job and after four years felt that he had taken the BOA as far as he could. It now needed someone else to build on what had been done. He recognised that the sport had not developed as fast as he and others would have liked, but the BOA once again had a sound financial base, competitions were well organised and teams wanted to play in them. He thought that for the next stage of the growth of our sport, the BOA needed to secure funding for international competitions, and put in place coaching/junior coaching schemes. Finally, Bernie thanked all those that had helped him during his tenure.


Election of the new Committee

18. The following people were proposed and elected:

Chairman: Keith Dunkinson & Tim Arnold. Elected: Keith Dunkinson

Vice-Chair: Anne Spencer

Treasurer: Keith Hadland

Secretary: Grant Mosedale

National Referee: Neil Dixon

Junior/Youth Co-ordinator: Kevin Hyman

Development Officer: Colin Dellor

Web-site Master: Martin Reed

Director of Coaching: Lindsay Poyner & Clare Ash. Elected: Lindsay Poyner

Competitions Manager: Vacant

CMAS Representative: Cliff Underwood

Publications Manager: Helen Field


At this point a break was taken and most representatives went home. There was still a quorum and the meeting continued. The new Chairman (Keith Dunkinson) took over the meeting.

Constitutional amendments

19. Six proposals were received (Annex 9). All were discussed and all but two were referred to the new Committee for deliberation. The two proposals that were voted on were:

Both proposals were approved.


Proposals to amend the Octopush playing rules

20. There were four suggestions. They were that:

A - Players be "cup-tied". The idea is that if you play in one round of a competition you cannot play for a different team in the next round. This was approved.

B - "Goal difference" is used in BOA competitions when a number of teams ended up on the same number of points. It was agreed that this would be discussed at the next Committee meeting.

C - "Throw-ins" be used when the puck goes out of play to restart the game. Neil Dixon agreed to think about the proposal.

D – Introduction of CMAS "Sheparding" rule.

21. In response to a question about why we can’t use CMAS rules, Neil Dixon explained that generally CMAS rules don’t cater for club/league matches; allow diving in; 90% of UK pools don’t meet CMAS rules. Neil was asked to put a proposal to the next AGM showing the differences between BOA and CMAS rules and also which CMAS rules could safely be taken up.


A.O.B.

Incidents at the BOA National Finals weekend

22. Neil Dixon explained that there had been two incidents that had been reported to him and which he was very concerned about. One was an incident at the Finals itself, where Brian Murray (Northampton) was seen by a number of members to push the Chief Referee (Cliff Underwood) into the pool (chair & all) whilst a game was in progress, narrowly missing the water referee. The second, concerned certain members of the Southport team letting off fire-extinguishers both at the BOA finals dinner at the Queens Hotel – hitting a guest - and also subsequently at the Crystal Palace sports centre hotel where they were staying.

23. Neil Dixon explained that the incident with Cliff Underwood was in his view very dangerous and at best a very poor joke. The incident was discussed and it was agreed that Neil Dixon, the National Referee, would deal with the matter (if necessary, by convening a disciplinary sub-committee hearing).

24. The incident involving Southport was more difficult. Many members had heard of the incidents and voiced their disapproval. Members were particularly concerned that it could reflect very badly on our sport and that it might adversely affect our relations with Crystal Palace sports centre. There was then a discussion on what the BOA should do about the incident. Eventually it was decided that Keith Dunkinson (BOA Chairman) would investigate the incidents further and take any necessary action.


Personality of the year

25. Bernie Tarling was voted personality of the year.


Most improved team of the year

26. There were three nominations: Totnes, Pembroke Ladies & Slough. Slough was voted most improved team.


Area representatives

27. Members pointed out that area representatives were underused and need to be used more. Clare Ash pointed out that area representatives needed the support of the Committee. Alun Mitchell asked whether area representatives could be invited to Committee meetings. The Chairman said that the use of area representatives was uppermost in his mind and agreed to reflect on what had been said.


Pucks report

28. Tim Arnold asked whether the Pucks report that he produced would be implemented. The Chairman said that the Committee would revisit the issue.


Date of first Committee meeting

29. The date of the first Committee meeting was set for 12 June at the National Youth Championships, Crystal Palace. Neil Dixon and Martin Reed gave notice that they couldn’t attend. Clare Ash was asked to attend to provide a hand over to Lindsay Poyner of coaching material etc. 


Grant Mosedale
BOA Secretary
28 May 1999

 


 

Annex 1

The following clubs sent representatives eligible to vote:

Batley Neil Dixon
Brighton Alison Wheeler
Chesham & Watford Martin Reed
Dunstable Tony Drakard
Farnham & Guildford Clare Ash
Glasgow Anne Spencer
Islington Grant Mosedale
Northampton Keith Dunkinson
Pembroke Colin Deller
Reading Antoine Mourad
Sheffield Chris Careless
Slough Tim Arnold
Spectrum Angels Clare Ash
Tykes "A" Chris Careless
Tykes "B" Chris Careless
Wahine Warriors Zoe Chester
West Wickham Steve Baldwin

 


Annex 2

OFFICER REPORT FROM VICE CHAIR MARION WHEELER FOR THE 1999 AGM

This year I have concentrated on two main areas of work, the Constitution and press coverage.

1 The Constitution

The current Constitution is rather limited. For instance

The BOA objectives as outlined should emphasise the BOA’s commitment to new clubs, junior teams and schools as well as confirming the Association's commitment to the selection, coaching, promotion and support of the national teams. Also the commitment to help those applying for grants is missing.

There are more posts listed for election at the AGM every year than there are job descriptions so it is hard for people to know what they are volunteering for.

the dissolution process needs to formalised etc.

A new draft Constitution was first put forward to the Committee for comments and approval last November. I included draft job descriptions for committee officer posts, and the outline of the new structure for national squads including responsibilities, selection procedures and qualifications for the roles. I based these job descriptions on what actually gets done and what the role should also encompass. I strongly advocate that these job descriptions are kept as an addendum to the Constitution as all those elements which made up the running of the BOA should be contained in one document so that they are less likely to be misplaced.

The Constitution is still in draft form and 1 will make it available on disk to the next incumbent to this position or whichever officer takes on the responsibility to get it finished and approved at the next AGM.

2 Press Coverage

This has been rather limited this year which probably reflects the successes of last year i.e. we are not a big enough sport to command regular attention and so the broadsheets will only find us interesting once in a while.

However, successes have included features in Time Out this week (London listings magazine), an interview on Channel 5 News, BBC 3 Counties Radio, The Sunday Times Style Magazine via London Ladies, The (Surrey) Herald, the new Free Diver magazine and on a new Channel 4 children's programme called Energize, which should be shown in mid-May via Clare Straiton.

I am not standing for re-election to this post although I am happy to continue working to gain press coverage if required.

 


Annex 3

Treasurer/Membership Secretary's Report for the BOA AGM 25/4/99

 

Apologies for my absence, but 1 have been suffering from a viral illness for the past few weeks and am therefore taking as much rest as possible at the moment.

Accounts for the years 1997/98 and 1998/99 have been prepared and are attached. The 97/98 accounts were delayed last year due to the circumstances of the previous Treasurer, but were prepared from his excellent records.

To summarise the accounts, 97/98 saw an overall loss of 3400, whereas 98/99 saw a profit of 2,251. Part of the reason for this imbalance is that the events in the BOA's main national competition take place very close to the end of the BOA's financial year (1st March to 28th Feb). As a result, the income and expenditure for this competition is normally spread over 2 years' accounts so it is difficult to determine whether the competition is financially balanced. For this reason it would appear sensible to suggest that the BOA's financial year should be realigned to run from St August to 31st July. If re-elected I shall endeavour to investigate the implications of this proposal and make a full report and possible proposal for constitutional change at the next annual general meeting.

The BOA's cash position remains healthy throughout - the cash balance at 28th Feb 98 was 2,421 pounds credit, increasing to 4,672 at 28' Feb 99.

There is a requirement that the BOA's accounts should be independently audited. The auditor that we used to use has now retired, and so we are seeking a replacement to audit the last 2 years of accounts. If any of the membership know of a suitable auditor (who does not make undue charges) then the Treasurer would be keen to hear from them.

For the year 98/99, there are 47 registered BOA clubs, and these clubs give a total of 66 registered teams (including women's teams, juniors etc.). The introduction of personal accident insurance has meant that teams now provide an indication of the number of players they have, and a rough extrapolation shows just over 1 000 octopush players within the BOA at present.

One disappointing fact is that there are probably hundreds of unregistered teams who are either choosing not to join the BOA for some reason or who are unaware of our existence. If re-elected it is my intention to at least identify teams which are known to be active and approach them to find out why they are not BOA members.

Approximately two-thirds of the membership chose to be covered by the BOA's personal accident cover, with over 90% opting for the BOA's 3rd party liability insurance. One common question from the membership was to do with dental cover in the personal accident insurance. Unfortunately the current insurers will not provide dental cover until they have had several years worth of experience to assess the risk. At present, the best insurance for a member's teeth is suitable protection - either an internal or external mouthguard. The USA association already mandates these for its competitions and it seems sensible that the rest of the world should follow suit at some point.

As a final word on the subject of insurance, our current broker has not given particularly good service over recent months and so, if re-elected, 1 shall investigate the market place to find an alternative. This gives us the chance to re-negotiate our insurance cover and so if any member has strong feelings about what should or shouldn't be included then they should contact the Membership Secretary.

Turning to the BOA's activities over the past year, one achievement has been the definition of an agreed set of expenses which may be claimed from the Treasurer:

 

All expenses will he reimbursed at cost on production of receipts.

All efforts should be made to minimise expenses, eg. sharing cars, 2nd class post - violations may result in claims being refused.

FOR NON PLAYING REFEREES AT OFFICL4L BOA TOURNAMENTS

Petrol expenses for private car travel to and from tournament

If agreed as necessary by BOA Competitions Manager, overnight accommodation at cost, Cost of evening meal, subject to authorisation of receipt by BOA Treasurer

FOR COMMIITTEE MEMBERS REGIONAL REPS COACHES OR OTHER MEMBERS WHEN AGREED BY TREASURER

2nd class postage

Photocopying/printing costs

Telephone calls (when supported by itemised phone bill)

Petrol expenses for private car travel to/from committee meetings subject to maximum of 25

Stationery costs

Expense forms are available from the Treasurer on request

Analysis of the 97/98 and 98/99 accounts shows that the BOA continues to successfully offer a series of local and national competitions to the membership. These competitions attract a large number of teams and cover their own costs. However, these competitions are becoming victims of their own success - with a large number of teams wishing to play it becomes increasingly difficult to work out a format and timetable that gives everyone a reasonable number of competitive games.

One means to alleviate this would be to allow teams to 'pre-register' for BOA competitions when they renew their membership, giving a longer lead time for the Competitions Manager to plan a successful tournament. The exact mechanism for this should be decided by the new committee, but as well as identifying those teams that wish to play it would be informative if teams who chose not to play gave their reasons. The BOA should be able to offer competitions for every level of its membership, from raw beginners to national champions, and it is only through this sort of exercise that we'll be able to achieve this.

Analysis of the accounts also shows that the BOA does not do much more than organising these competitions. The only other significant items on the accounts are international competitions, Octopush news and the provision of goals, pucks etc.

There is no real expenditure directed towards developing or publicising our sport, there appear to have been no referees courses run, and we do not have a coaching scheme in place, Given that we invented the game in this country, we don't appear to have taken things as far as other playing nations. 1 would love to see the 1 000 registered members increase to 2000, 5000 or 10,000 over the coming years - this would surely increase the standard of the game and the variety of competitions offered. However, the only way to achieve this is for the BOA to make a determined effort in this direction - it's apparent that the current activities are being well run and are under control, so isn't it time to diversify?

 

Keith Hadland

BOA Treasurer/Membership Secretary 23/4/99

 


 

Annex 4

British Octopush Association Consolidated Accounts 1/3/97-28/2/98

CREDIT DEBIT
Membership Fees 3935.00 0.00
Insurance 0.00 1162.16
Ref s Expenses 0.00 343.82
Local Leagues/Comps 0.00 304.24
National Competitions 3619.00 5153.15
International Competitions 547.01 3077.74
Junior Competitions 1378.50 1418.31
Interest 55.90 0.00
Administration Expenses (Postage etc) 0.00 230.78
Octopush News 0.00 362.46
Equipment 649.07 1535.73
TOTAL 10184.48 13588.39

 

BANK ACCOUNT
Opening Balance 5824.94
Total Credit 10184.48
Total Debit (13588.39)
Closing Balance 2421.03

 

The BOA made a net LOSS of 3,403.91 for the period 1/3/97 to 28/2/98

This is in part due to the funding of World and European championships teams, at a cost of 2530.73, and also due to 786.66 spent on Australian pucks which has yet to be recouped.

 


Annex 5

British Octopush Association Consolidated Accounts 1/3/98-28/2/99

CREDIT DEBIT
Membership Fees 5,231.50 50.00
Insurance 75.00 1,764.30
Ref s Expenses 187.98
Local Leagues/Comps
National Competitions 5,645.00 5,939.05
International Competitions 904.40 1,455.50
Junior Competitions 1,983.00 1,309.36
Interest 63.75
Administration Expenses (Postage etc) 551.05
Octopush News 298.28
Equipment 1,693.80 1,389.59
Miscellaneous 100.00 500.00
TOTAL 15,696.45 13,445.11

 

BANK ACCOUNT
Opening Balance 2,421.03
Total Credit 15,696.45
Total Debit (13,445.11)
Closing Balance 4,672.37
Current Account 1,434.31
Savings Account 3,238.06

 

The BOA made a net PROFIT of 2,251.34 for the period 1/3/98 to 28/2/99

 


Annex 6

BOA Director of Coaching - Report to BOA AGM 25/4/99

This year 1 have focused on research into establishing two related structures - one for BOA training and the second for BOA coaching. The one should not be confused with the other. By training I refer to a series of levels through which any player can progress and improve. By coaching I refer to a series of levels by which those interested to coach can widen their skills and effectiveness. I believe that both these areas are essential for the growth and expansion of our minority sport in every respect.

I have a simple set of levels that now need to be assessed by others, and then have the appropriate material added in at the various levels. The task is somewhat lengthy in that I felt it important to establish levels across the whole range - from beginner juniors, all the way up to top international level. Once laid down the structure can obviously be refined and gradually developed to suit the new and existing players and coaches countrywide.

 

Training Levels

Junior 1 ( beginner ) e.g. Shrimp badge * Also to be condensed

Junior 2 * for equivalent adult

Junior 3 * level

Intermediate 1

Intermediate 2

Intermediate 3

Advanced 1

Advanced 2

Advanced 3

Training levels will introduce players to a wide range of areas :- skills and exercises, safety, tactics, fitness exercises, team play, game analysis, sportsmanship, rules and team psychology. The levels will be tested by approved examiners both in the water and by written examination. On the subject of those approved to examine, this is where I need to begin, and to secure funding for initial courses and course material we must ensure that standards are consistent. We will need to start with a number of qualified individuals countrywide, to allow the achievement of players to be recognised easily and so that they can move ahead unhindered.

 

 

Coaching levels

Poolside assistant * to be accompanied

Coaching assistant * by NFC courses

Coach grade 1 ( beginner ) * run nation-wide

Coach grade 2 ( club level ) *

Coach grade 3 ( international ) *

Similar to the need for qualified training examiners we will also need those qualified to examine coaching levels. We already have many players coaching but I will be looking to the National Coaching Foundation's support to help establish the above. N. B. The reason for the first two simple stages of assistant is to encourage more individuals in to support the running of pool sessions, and then tournaments. With a qualification people have much more confidence to assist.

 

Points Raised During My Research.

video is valuable. Video of coaching point and skills next aim.

Local and county Sports Development Officers should be used and involved regionally.

National Coaching Foundation and their generic courses, offered countrywide.

As far as the Sports Council is concerned every governing body is responsible for the development of its sport ( for those affiliated and the public at large ), including a range of opportunities for young people. A priority is the development of effective performance and excellence strategies.

Safety is an issue we tend to overlook. Coaches should be proficient and up to date lifesavers.

N.B. - Coaches in the future should have individual insurance cover. If The National Association of Sports Coaches ( NASC ) approve of our courses and material they are an ideal source.

We are one of many minority sports that exist in this country, and many thrive with the governing bodies good planning and careful execution.

Communication across regions would do well to use networks and facilities already in place in. ( local and county Sports Dev Units and Officers )

Build on coaching that has evolved already, and use and develop those already involved.

Various alternatives for monitoring / grading.

the simple beginnings of an enormous task !!!

 

Practical action to date

ran a 3 day training course for juniors in Orkney.

planned and ran a junior course of 8 weekly sessions - at Guildford. Adult players assisted. Printed material being generated

introduced Octopush to St. Paul's boy’s school, London. Running a series of session for them

sent questionnaires out to all member clubs, and redistributed at various competitions, to get feedback on current coaching skill base. Replies mostly from junior club. Varied and useful information

 

Next Tasks

flesh out levels of training and coaching structures ( already underway ) contributions also being sought

seek practical feedback from session organisers as to the suitability of levels to their particular sessions.

Build NCF course specifically for those coaching Octopush ( already underway )

prepare the supporting material

handbooks for players

handbooks for coaches - with all the teaching notes relevant to level

qualifying certificates and badges - publicity material

 

My Aims

- To provide a simple structure of both training and coaching to allow the sport to develop more evenly across the country, and to allow it to be easily taken up by those not already playing.

Clare(Straiton) Ash

 

+ include Referee courses in structure development esp. poolside assistant/referees assistant.

+ printed coaching material for poolside and underwater use.

 


Annex 7

Summary of Year 1998/9 activity in Wales Region.

Teams playing:-

Llwchwr, Lianelli, Newport(new club), Pembroke, Swansea and Cardiff universities (joint team this year), Bangor University, Carmarthen (occasional).

Welsh Championship was held in early December at Pyle. This was organised by Ieaun Morris who may have submitted results to BOA. Llwchwr retained their title once again.

We have run a small league this year with just four entrants, Llanelli, Llwchwr, Pembroke, Swansea/Cardiff Uni. The games have been useful and good fun. We expect more entries next season. This is a Non-BOA league as we need to encourage as many teams as possible.

September 1998 saw the first ever Women's Tournament in Wales. This was organised by Penny Simon at Pembroke. This years repeat will be on September 15th and Penny already has sponsors queuing to offer her the choicest perfumes etc. (She has been tipped for Pembroke mens team captain next year!)

Juniors.

Pembroke Club have under-thirteens and under-sixteens teams playing, but no other juniors active in Wales.

Within the Principality both the Sports Council Wales and Sportlot have monies available for the development of sports which are seen as attractive to young people.

In order to qualify for these monies a sport must have a governing body in Wales, and that organisation must be able to show a complete infrastructure geared to promote development of the potential of the participants. Coach training, Coaching schemes, Junior awards, Referee training, Encouraging helpers, treasurers, secretaries etc. as well as a league structure with the necessary management backup.

With a structure in place we can approach these bodies for funding, and we can then use the funds to obtain kit with which we can offer schools and other swimming clubs an opportunity to try the game over an extended period.

I have suggested to the Welsh Association of Sub Aqua Clubs (who are recognised by the Sports Council Wales as the Governing Body in Wales for underwater sports) that an association with the BOA could assist with the development of Octopush in Wales. The WASAC Chairperson has advised me that WASAC will do all they can to assist developments.

I believe this to be a crucial issue as our only alternative route for funding may be to form a separate governing body for Wales. This would not be a favoured option as it would inevitably lead to unnecessary duplication of effort etc.

Finally, as I said the other year " The area reps get no support or info and they don’t in consequence do as much as they might" The BOA could try making friends with them, send them birthday cards, invitations to parties, or tournaments!!


Colin Deller.

 


Annex 8

B.O.A.

Grant Mosedale

Dear Grant,

Just a short resume for your meeting on Sunday. B.U.S.A. has progressed over the last year slowly but definitely.

Finswimming has been formed under British Finswimming Association (BFA) and will compete in the 1999 European Championships. They have received good publicity including a short spot on TV (Blue Peter).

There is an interest in Underwater Rugby, which we hope to get started during 1999.

Underwater fishing and Hockey competed in world championships during 1998 and both are to compete in European Championships during 1999.

Meetings have been held between B.U.S.A. and S.A.A., the B.S.A.C. and the Sports Council regarding developing B.U.S.A. and the future. No decisions taken or possibilities discussed at B.U.S.A. These will be held in the near future.

B.U.S.A. is now well established in C.M.A.S. We now need to impose British influence.

Regret the brief note on this occasion.

Give my regards to all at your meeting.


Ron Jacobs.
Chairman B.U.S.A.

 


Annex 9

BOA Resolutions

CONSTITUTIONAL MATTERS

1. VOTING: introduction of secret ballots.

This AGM agrees that voting at all BOA AGMs be changed from a show of hands to a secret ballot, with immediate effect

Proposed by: Slough

Seconded by: Northampton,

 

2. REGISTRATION: proposed change to rule 8.3.8

This AGMI recognises that every encouragement should be given to clubs to start and, if applicable, register B' teams. Accordingly, the rulebook should clear up the ambiguity about players moving between 'A' & 'B' teams, which are part of the same club.

AGM believes there should be a transfer period of two months between a club’s 'A' & 'B' teams if both are registered, compared to the present transfer period of 12 months. AGM believes the present registration rules between different clubs are fair, work well, and should not he amended.

Therefore, Rule 8.3.8 should be changed to:

Players transferring to a new club may not return to their old club for a period of 12 months. Players transferring between the registered teams of the same club may not return to their previous team for a period of two months. The BOA committee shall have the power to vary this rule in individual cases in the interests of fair play at its sole discretion.

Proposed by: Slough

Seconded by:

 

 

NATIONAL TEAM MATTERS

3. SELECI'ION: amendment to Point 3.5 of the BOA committee meeting of5th September 1998.

This AGM welcomes the committee's increasingly professional response to team management matters, especially with job descriptions. AGM congratulates the committee for taking steps to show that selection matters in particular are made on objective and transparent basis.

Accordingly, AGM agrees to endorse committee minute’s resolution point 3.5 of 5/9/98 as official policy, with the following alteration.

DELETE: line reading: "A three person team will select the team for championships - national squads manager, co-manager and an independent selector (either team captain or co-manager from a different squad)."

INSERT, line reading: "A three person team will select the team for championships: national squads manager, co-manager and team coach. If a selector holds more than one of the above posts or has a conflict of interest - for example, trying out for selection themselves - then an independent selector will be used (either a team captain or co-manager from a different squad)."

Proposed by: Slough

Seconded by:

 

(Explanation: it is important to make sure at least three people are directly involved in choosing teams. The first draft, by concentrating on job titles, may have actually led to less than three people being involved in selection matters, since in practice a person Dry wear more than one "hat " The suggested alterations gets round this difficulty. It also re-affirms the sporting principle that no-one can sit in judgement on themselves; in other words, avoiding possible conflicts of interest The proposers recognise that the real issue involved in team selection is perceivet4 not actual, bias in the vast majority of cases. This subtle alteration shows the BOA is committed to justice being seen to be done, not just being done.)

 

4. APPOINTMENTS: appointments for positions within the national teams’ structure (i.e. national squads’ manager, national squads’ coaches, etc.)

This AGM agrees the importance of making national team managers democratically accountable to the team players they serve. Accordingly, the, appointment of each place in the national team structure will be made by the BOA committee within 21 days of the completion of a national championship (Europeans/Worlds).

Proposed by: Slough

Seconded by:

 

 

5. TEAMWORK: alterations to the new proposed national teams’ structures for the UK.

This AGM recognises the importance of co-operation within underwater hockey. AGM recognises that other countries have made much of such "synergies" between various national teams (elite men, elite women, men's masters, and women’s masters).

AGM recognises the new team structures will help to increase co-operation between teams, but recognises that more can be done by having elite, masters, and under 21’s training and managed together - not as separate units working against each other.

Accordingly, AGM directs the committee to:

i) Arrange the election of one main co-manager and one main coach for all the men's teams;

ii) Arrange the election of one main co-manager and one main coach for all the women's teams.

AGM also urges the management of the teams be strengthened, by allowing the above to appoint their own assistants to help achieve their objectives. These appointments shall he subject to the agreement of the BOA committee.

Proposed by: Slough

Seconded by:

 

6. Motion for the BOA AGM 25/4/99

This AGM welcomes the BOA moves to put national team selection on a more professional basis. This AGM believes Britain should establish selection boards to choose: -

1 – national team coaches.

2 – selectors of the national teams.

 

Proposed by: Clare Ash, Farnham & Guildford

Seconded by: Alison Wheeler, Brighton

 


Web Design by Reed Consulting (UK) Limited. Page last updated 28th November 1999.