Word
This document in
Microsoft Word
format

B.O.A.

NOTE OF A BOA COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON 25 JULY 1999
AT WEEDON SCOUT HALL, WEEDON, NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

Meeting Notes The "You agreed to do..." list
Appendices:
Treasurer/Memb Sec Report Minutes of Meeting at European Championships National Squad Set-Up

 

Present:
Keith Dunkinson (Chairman) Grant Mosedale (Secretary)
Helen Field (Publications Officer) Neil Dixon (Chief Referee)
Martin Reed (Webmaster) Tim Arnold (Competitions Manager)
Alun Mitchell (GB Squads Manager) Dave Simpson (GB Mens Elite Coach)
Dean Beha (GB Mens Masters Coach) Mary Nunn (GB Womens Manager)

Apologies for absence

Apologies were received from Keith Hadland, Kevin Hyman, Colin Deller, Anne Spencer, Lindsay Poyner, Cliff Underwood, Antoine Mourad, Zoe Chester, and Jane Fahy.

 

Minutes of the last Committee meeting

These were agreed. There were a number of matters arising from that meeting. These were:

 

Officers reports

  1. The following reports were made:
  2. Treasurer (Keith Hadlin) – written report attached (Annex A).
  3. Secretary (Grant Mosedale) – no report was given. The Secretary made a plea for every one to send him copies of any official correspondence including E-mails so that the BOA had a written record of everything done in its name.
  4. National Referee (Neil Dixon) – The National Referee stated that he was very unhappy with the standard of refereeing at the European Championships. It was agreed that a letter be sent to the Underwater Hockey Commission outlining suggestions for improving refereeing standards such as paying for independent referees. The Secretary agreed to draft a letter for the National Referee’s approval. It was pointed out that this correspondence should be sent to CMAS via Cliff Underwood, the BOA’s representative to CMAS.
  5. Publications Manager (Helen Field) – The Publications Manager reported that she now had enough material for an Octopush News. She intended to see Cliff Underwood this week about Octopush News. She also intended to try to put Octopush news on the web site.
  6. Webmaster (Martin Reed) – The web-master stated that his objectives were to improve the web-site. He had set up individual e-mail boxes for some Committee officers and was in the process of setting up the rest.
  7. Chairman (Keith Dunkinson) – The Chairman had a number of issues to report on. There had been a 6 hour BUSA meeting that Keith had attended. There were a number of issues covered of interest to the BOA. These were:

Competitions Manager

  1. At the AGM, the position of Competitions Manager was left vacant. Tim Arnold had now offered to take up the post. A vote was taken and Tim Arnold was unanimously voted in as BOA Competitions Manager.
  2. European Championships & National Squads Set-up

  3. There were two reports on this issue, which were read out. The National Squads Manager (Antoine Mourad) had produced a report on the European Championships and the Secretary had produced a report on the views of players concerning the new National Squads set-up (both attached as Annex C). Before these reports were discussed, the Committee voted and agreed that all present could vote on the National squads’ set-up issue. The non-Committee members that could now vote were Alun Mitchell, Mary Nunn, Dean Beha & Dave Simpson.
  4. On the European Championships, no-body disagreed with Antoine’s report. All agreed that the refereeing (apart from the Dutch and UK referees) was of a generally poor standard. The discussion then moved on to the current National Squads set-up. The present system has a General Manager in overall charge of the UK squads, with a co-manager & coach for each separate squad. The question was whether to continue with this format or amend it, and then to elect people to the various positions.
  5. The Secretary had proposed in his report to remove the Co-Managers roles as he felt that they were an un-necessary layer with no real purpose. Mary Nunn pointed out that that for the Women’s Masters a co-manager had been vital as they had serious problems with the current General Manager. In her view the General manager should be acceptable to all squads. Neil asked how the current General Manager had became Women’s Elite Coach (as he knew of players that would not play for the elite team because Antoine was coach). The Chairman pointed out that no one had been willing to take up this role and so Antoine filled the void. Tim Arnold thought that the General Manager had too much power. There should be a final "Court of Appeal" of Committee members to ensure that the General manager did not abuse his position. Dean Beha thought that the Co-Managers role should be no more than that of a runner/fixer during Championships. Dave Simpson thought that Co-Managers were needed as there was too much work for one person at Championships. It became clear that there was no real consensus as to whether Co-Managers should be retained. A vote was taken on whether to have a 5 (General Manager & 4 coaches), 7 (General Manager, 2 Co-Managers & 4 coaches) or 9 person (General Manager, 4 Co-Managers & 4 coaches) set-up. After two votes, there was a narrow majority in favour of the 7 person format.
  6. For the future, some Committee members thought that people should have a chance to nominate candidates for each job. A more professional approach should be adopted for next year (i.e. advertised job descriptions for each post). To this end the Chairman proposed to have a Committee meeting as soon as possible after the world Championships with all team captains & officials (coaches, managers) invited. A notice would go out in Octopush news giving the date and inviting nominations for posts. Job descriptions for posts would be discussed at a later date. All present would be allowed to vote on the issue. A vote was taken and this proposal was carried. There were a number of issues arising from the Secretary’s report on what the players wanted that needed to be dealt with. It was agreed to set up an International sub-Committee to deal with these issues. Dean Beha, Grant Mosedale, Alun Mitchell & the National squad coaches were voted onto the sub-Committee.
  7. Secretary to advertise meeting and nomination request in Octopush News.

    Secretary to organise meeting of the International sub-Committee.

  8. The Chairman proposed that players ought to concentrate on playing. Players should not be doing other jobs such as Coaching/managing other teams as this may affect their own team. The Committee agreed that this was a sensible suggestion. Nominations were taken for each position as follows:
  9. General Manager - Antoine Mourad

    Men’s Manager - Grant Mosedale

    Women’s Manager - Martin Reed

    Men’s Elite Coach - Dave Simpson

    Women’s Elite Coach - Sue Coles, Electra

    Men’s Masters Coach - Dean Beha

    Women’s Masters Coach - Neil Dixon

  10. Antoine Mourad had indicated in his report that he was only willing to do the General Managers role if he had the complete/unconditional support of the BOA Committee. The Chairman asked for a vote on whether the Committee could give him that support. The Committee voted 6-3 against (The Chairman did not vote). The General Managers role was therefore vacant. Grant Mosedale was proposed. Grant was willing to do the job in Australia but was unsure whether he had the time to do the necessary work in the UK. He agreed to share the job with Keith Dunkinson on a temporary basis until he could make a clear decision. The agreed line-up is:
  11. General Manager – Grant Mosedale/Keith Dunkinson (Temporary basis)

    Men’s Manager - Grant Mosedale/Keith Dunkinson (Temporary basis)

    Women’s Manager - Martin Reed

    Men’s Elite Coach - Dave Simpson

    Women’s Elite Coach – Sue Coles (Temporary basis)

    Men’s Masters Coach - Dean Beha

    Women’s Masters Coach - Neil Dixon

  12. There were two nomination for the Women’s Elite Coach - Sue Coles and Electra (who lives in Rome). As neither were present, it was agreed to advertise the post in the next Octopush News and to ask Sue Coles if she would take the job on a temporary basis until a Coach could be found (Subsequently Sue Coles turned the post down as she wished to play for the Women’s Masters team). Electra would be asked if she intended returning to the UK, as there would be little point in having a Coach who lived in Rome.
  13. All other candidates were confirmed. The Secretary was asked to write to each person confirming his or her nomination. A notice would be sent to Octopush News explaining the National Squads set-up for this year. Alun Mitchell asked whether there would be a squad’s fitness co-ordinator to which the Chairman replied that this year’s set-up was agreed and the issue would be taken up within the International sub-Committee. Dave Simpson announced that there was to be an inter-regional competition on 5 September which he intended to use to get all those interested in playing in the World Championships for the Men’s Elite would be strongly urged to attend. Others were asked to consider doing the same thing.
  14. Secretary to write an advert for Women’s Elite Coach for next Octopush News.

    Secretary to write to those elected confirming their positions in the National Squads set-up.

    Secretary to write notice explaining National Squads set-up for next Octopush news.

    Secretary to confirm with Sue Coles & Electra whether they are willing to take up the Women’s Elite Coach role.

    AOB

  15. The next Committee meeting will be held on Sunday 3rd October. Tim Arnold agreed to find a suitable venue. The Chairman wanted the dates of all Committee meetings set for the year. The Secretary was asked to set the dates (roughly one meeting every 8 weeks) and notify Committee members. Sub-Committees could meet whenever they wished.
  16. Secretary to set dates of all Committee meetings for the year and inform Committee members.

  17. The new Competition Manager (Tim Arnold) asked for some guidance on his new role. He was told that the Treasurer (Keith Hadlin) & Cliff Underwood both had contact names for clubs. The pucks used in BOA Competitions were up to him as Competitions Manager. The Treasurer had also produced advice on how to work out how much to charge for tournaments.
  18. BUSA. The Committee were asked to approve the annual membership fee to BUSA of 350. This was approved. The Chairman had been to a BUSA Committee meeting which lasted for 6 hours (this meeting lasted for just short of 4 hours). The Chairman is preparing a separate note of the items of relevance to the BOA.

Treasurer to pay the BUSA annual membership fee.

Chairman to provide note of BUSA meeting.

 

Grant Mosedale

BOA Secretary

10/8/99

 

The "You agreed to do..." list

Helen Field to put an advert in Octopush news about the Southern Area Representative vacancy.

Martin Reed to e-mail "coaching" & "how to do…" information on web to Lindsay Poyner.

Secretary to send a letter of thanks to the previous Auditor.

Chairman to check the registered charity status of the BOA with Phil Burton.

 

Secretary to write to CMAS concerning refereeing standards at the European Championships.

Secretary to advertise meeting and nomination request in Octopush News.

Secretary to organise meeting of the International sub-Committee.

Secretary to write an advert for Women’s Elite Coach for next Octopush News.

Secretary to write to those elected confirming their positions in the National Squads set-up.

Secretary to write notice explaining National Squads set-up for next Octopush news.

Secretary to confirm with Sue Coles & Electra whether they are willing to take up the Women’s Elite Coach role.

Secretary to set dates of all Committee meetings for the year and inform Committee members.

Treasurer to pay the BUSA annual membership fee.

Chairman to provide note of BUSA meeting.


 

Annex A

Treasurer/Memb Sec Report

Apologies for non attendance - diving in Weymouth.

1. Current bank position is appx 5K in the black, with invoices of appx 1 K expected from Crystal Palace for junior tournament.

2. Accounts for 97/98 and 98/99 have been audited successfully. Request that we arrange a suitable ‘thank you’ for the auditor. I’ll send the consolidated accounts to Martin Reed to get posted on the WWW.

3. Budgets - at present I haven’t received anyone’s estimated budget for next year. If not provided I will use some combination of the last 2 year’s figures as an estimate to base renewal fees on - for the Worlds I also request some estimate of funding required. Suggest that if possible the aim should be to maintain current ‘adult’ fees but reduce fees for junior categories. Need this data ASAP.

4. Am finalising insurance options for next year - decision to be taken after Keith D has attended the BUSA meeting as we were discussing collaborative insurance with them. Membership letters will go out as soon as insurance is decided and budgets received. Letters will also include some sort of feedback questionnaire so we can find out what clubs (members and non) think of the BOA.

5. All insurance quotes have been based on a ‘per member’ basis rather than ‘per club’ - this is a departure from the BOA’s normal way of operating and KH is trying to address this. However, there is clearly a need for a more positive way of identifying BOA membership and we’ll need to set up some sort

of system. KH is willing to set up some sort of MS-Access database system which can be carried forward to future post-holders.

6. BOA Postal address - a P0 Box address costs 52 pounds a year, owner

expected to collect mail from the Post Office. Redirection of mail from a

P0 Box to a single address costs another 52 pounds. Thought to be more

expensive than the current cost of redirecting mail, but would increase the

‘professional’ image of the BOA.

7. CMAS money - there were reports that CMAS gave some funding to the BSAC when it was CMAS rep. As BUSA is now CMAS rep we should investigate what money exists and what it is used for.

8. International teams - As discussed at the last meeting, it is clear that

a large amount of money is passed through separate accounts for

international teams. This money is currently not visible to the BOA as a

whole, and if it were it would considerably enhance the apparent size of the organisation. The BOA does not want to take control of money away from the respective teams, but would appreciate more detailed financial information so that this can be included in our annual accounts - therefore request each person responsible for such an account to contact the Treasurer.

With regard to agenda items:

2. Have not seen minutes of last meeting - apologise if I haven’t completed any of my actions.

3. Above

4. Only comment is as per the ‘international teams’ accounts above. There will be a considerable expenditure by each player to get to these comps and we must ensure that this money is visible.

 

5. Comments on draft BOA Code of Conduct.

Para 1 - why focus just on child abuse? what about sexual, racial, religious, physical etc. abuse of adults?

Para 4c - the BSAC tried this and fell foul of the membership - also, police checks for such instructors are difficult - we have enough trouble getting people involved in the junior game at the moment and this would be yet another deterrent.

Para 9 - this basic rule is not repeated in the ‘ethics for coaching’

Suggest secretary contacts Sarah Liscoe of Totton & Romsey (sliscoe@aol.com) as she had several comments on the previous draft code of conduct.


 

Annex B

Minutes of the meeting held on 24th June 1999 at Olympic Pool, Kranj

Present:

Miso Euhalev (Slovenia, Federation Chairman)

Igor Detela (Slovenia, Commission Chairman)

Miro Peternelj (Slovenia, Chairman)

Ales Viar (Slovenia)

??? Italian lady from CMAS — can someone please help me with her name?

M. Galal Ghoneim (Egypt)

M. Adel Farahat (Egypt)

Lionel Dumeaux (France)

Cliff Underwood (Great Britain)

Neil Dixon (Great Britain)

Martin Reed (Great Britain, minute-taker)

Antoine Mourad (Great Britain)

Gbor NyI (Hungary)

Moreno Sanguin (Italy)

Giorgio Trotter (Italy)

Kees Bakx (Netherlands)

Rob Schipper (Netherlands)

Dick Trap (Netherlands)

Laurent Alquier (Spain)

Bo ana Ostojiae (Yugoslavia)

 

 

Miro Peternelj thanked everyone for attending, and stated the subjects that would be discussed during the meeting:

CMAS

This tournament (1999 European Underwater Hockey Championships)

Dick Trap then added a further subject

• The location of the next European Championships

 

Topic 1: CMAS

Dick expressed disappointment that other countries wanted to take part in the tournament, but through organisational reasons were prevented from doing so.

Miro explained that Belgium had their own special reasons for not being able to attend. Antoine Mourad explained that the CMAS ruling on eligibility of countries to compete in CMAS competitions stated that only one team could represent one national body. In other sports England, Scotland and Wales can compete as separate nations, but because all countries of the United Kingdom are represented by a single member body, under CMAS rules they cannot.

Cliff Underwood stated that Scotland and Italy had on a previous occasion had the opportunity to join CMAS, but had at the time chosen not to do so.

Antoine stated that if CMAS could give a guarantee that I//CAN’T REMEMBER THIS BIT//I he would personally speak to the President of CMAS to ask him I/STILL CAN’T REMEMBER THIS BIT/I

Cliff stated that such a decision could only be made in the presence of a full body of CMAS representatives.

Neil Dixon stated that an opinion should be made to CMAS in the form of an informal show of hands to be made there and then.

Cliff asked if we were talking specifically about Scotland and Wales, or potentially about other nations where multiple nations are currently governed by a single CMAS representative. He stated that it was important to be absolutely specific when dealing with CMAS, and that we should consider the needs of any other multi-nations before broaching the subject with CMAS.

Dick said that this subject should be raised during the CMAS committee meeting at the World Championships in Tasmania in 2000. This was seconded by Cliff, who added that a study on this very subject was put into place at the CMAS Committee Meeting at the 1998 World Championships in San Jose, and was currently under way. However, this should not stop the assembled nations from making a >>strong recommendation’s to CMAS.

Miro then gave the floor to Bo ana Ostoji~, as a representative of a nation that consists of multiple sub-nations. Bo ana stated that anything that could enable more teams to compete in the World Championships or in Zone Championships could only help to advance the whole sport, and that she was fully in favour of ~sub-nations~ — as viewed by CMAS - being able to compete in CMAS competitions as independent nations in their own right.

Miro stated that he had been happy for Scotland to attend the 1 999 European Championships as a guest team — even though in the end they did not take part - and went on to thank Rob Schipper for taking the time to come to P.H. Kranj’s home tournament in February 1 999 and pass on his knowledge to the Slovenian referees, thereby helping to raise the level of the sport in Slovenia. Miro stated that guest teams and individuals with knowledge and experience of the sport should be welcomed wherever they are willing and able to develop the sport.

Antoine proposed the formation of working parties to develop the sport with a fifteen (15) year scope. A paper would be developed and formally presented to CMAS.

Cliff stated that if such a study is already under way, this effort should not be duplicated. Cliff then went on to read out a draft message to CMAS in which member nations formally proposed to CMAS that eligibility for entry to CMAS events should be expanded to allow multiple teams to be entered from national governing bodies where the governing body covers multiple nations.

Rob Schipper then asked for the topic to be closed and the next topic to be opened.

It was noted by the minute-taker that the informal show of hands proposed by Neil Dixon had not physically taken place, but that there seemed to be unanimous agreement from those around the table that it was good for the sport for rules restricting eligibility to be modified, in order that more teams could be allowed to compete in CMAS competitions.

Topic 2: European Championships, 2001

Miro then introduced as the next topic the location of the 2001 European Championships, and asked for nominations.

Bo ana proposed Yugoslavia.

Martin Reed proposed Italy as an alternative, based on his experience of a tournament featuring teams from five nations that had been held by the Bologna club in September

1 998.

Giorgio Trotter and Moreno Sanguin stated that Italy would not be happy to host a tournament of this scale.

The proposed time of year was then discussed. All agreed that June was not a good time, as many teams had players who were students, and therefore had examinations at this time of year.

Antoine proposed the weekend of Easter.

Many representatives named times of the year that were not acceptable, but Easter was deemed by all participants to be acceptable.

 

Intermediate Topic: part CMAS, part European Championships 1999 Miro stated that he had wanted to involve television in the 1999 European Championships in order to publicise the sport. He recognised that CMAS reserved all rights to television coverage, and to this end he sent a fax to CMAS in Rome on this subject, but received no reply.

Rob stated that this lack of response was unacceptable behaviour from a professional world governing body.

Dick stated that from a publicity point of view it was a pity that this tournament had not been covered by Eurosport, or similar.

Rob stated: "It’s good for the sport, in future just do it, don’t ask".

Gbor Nyl then asked why we needed to be part of CMAS.

Cliff stated that if Underwater Hockey were to withdraw from CMAS, those withdrawing nations would be blacklisted by CMAS in all other underwater sports governed by CMAS.

Many representatives then expressed the opinion that the only solution was to reform CMAS — specifically the areas of CMAS that were not performing the functions required by its members — rather than to break away from it and form an alternative association. Cliff stated that one aspect that was already coming out of the San Jose working party was that the organisation aspect of CMAS tournaments would be devolved from the direct responsibility of the central CMAS committee and given to the individual tournament organisers.

 

Topic 3: European Championships 1999

Igor Detela stated that as well as reforming CMAS each member nation needed to discipline its own national committees to submit timely entries for Zone Championships.

Miro stated that some nations had asked if there would be a refund of part of the tournament entry fee, but that unfortunately this would not be possible. When organisation work on the 1999 European Championships began, sixteen nations announced that they would be taking part. On this basis, sponsors were procured.

However, by the time of the official deadline, only three nations had submitted entries. This therefore led to the withdrawal of the sponsors, and therefore money lost to the Championships funds.

 

Miro also expressed dissatisfaction that France had withheld the submission of their entries for the European Championships until after the end of the conflict in Yugoslavia. He asked if the roles had been reversed whether or not France — if they had been hosts — would have accepted entries from Slovenia five days before the start of the Championships.

He also said that as a Slovenian he was offended that France had not thought to look on a map and see that Slovenia was geographically nowhere near Yugoslavia, and therefore nothing whatsoever to do with Yugoslavia or the political situation in that region.

He stated further that even by that point in the Championships — Thursday evening, with the Finals taking place less than two days later - the entry fees from France had still not been received, and that if all monies had still not been received from France before the end of the tournament, all French results in the tournament would be null and void.

Lionel Dumeaux then said that France is very involved in the development of underwater hockey. France wanted to send teams to the European Championships because it was good for the sport.

Miro said the entries from France had been accepted, despite their lateness, because it was good for the sport for France to be able to participate.

Lionel said that he and the other French representatives could communicate with their bank tomorrow and for a confirming fax to be sent from the bank directly to the pool. He also seconded the nomination of Yugoslavia as the host of the 2001 European Championships.

Galal Ghoneim stated that if a nation were to develop, it must be helped by those nations who already have experience and expertise in the sport. Bo ana stated that Underwater Hockey is an amateur sport, and that it is expensive for individuals to finance their own travel to tournaments. The Egyptian rep said that discounts on travel, accommodation and other such could be arranged, but that in return the teams invited must give guarantees that they will attend.

 

Antoine thanked on behalf of the BOA the Slovenian organising committee for their help with transport from the airport, accommodation etc. This was echoed all round, and the meeting was closed.


 

Annex C

NATIONAL SQUAD SET UP

This is a combined report covering the views of the players on the new national squad set-up and the European Championships held in Slovenia during June 1999. The views expressed come mainly from the questionnaires and also conversations I have had with a number of people since the European Championships.

 

National squad set-up

Around 30 GB players participated in Slovenia (Men’s elite, Women’s elite and Women’s master teams), of which 13 Questionnaires were received back (significantly none were from the Men’s elite team). I can only conclude that those that did not return the questionnaires are content with the "new regime" (this was the players one chance to report to the BOA Committee in complete confidence exactly what they thought of the new system). Of those that returned questionnaires most were positive about the "new regime" mainly offering suggestions for improvement rather than attacking it. Only one player sent in a completely negative questionnaire slating the system. I believe given the overwhelming response in favour of the new system that this questionnaire should be ignored completely.

The questionnaires returned were very useful as they highlight areas where the system worked well as well as areas where we could do better. Most people offered constructive solutions for improving the system rather than just criticising the system.

What the questionnaires highlighted was that:

The questionnaires also highlighted a number of improvements that players felt should be made. These were, in no particular order:

When asked what they would have done differently, many said that they would have trained much harder as they did not realise until they reached the competition, just how high fitness levels need to be.

It is clear that many of the suggestions made above are sensible and the General Manager and his coaches should discuss how to incorporate these suggestions into their training plans. All seemed to be content with the work done for them by their own team’s coach or manager but it was a failure of the system that one team did not have a coach. I will deal with this issue under "Future". One team also had great problems with the General manager (which I will deal with separately).

 

European Championships

Antoine Mourad has written his own report on the European Championships (attached). Both elite teams won Bronze medals, which is a good base to build on for the world championships in Tasmania during April 2000. Players have now seen for themselves what they need to do to beat the best European opposition (France are men’s elite world champions and they came second in Slovenia). On the plus side the questionnaires revealed that there was a very high level of support between all the teams, which lead to a great team spirit. However, there were concerns highlighted of which three deserve mentioning.

The first was the behaviour of certain members of the Men’s elite team towards referees and officials (before games). It is not acceptable for players to push/abuse officials at any level, let alone European/World Championship level. This highlights the need for players’ code of conduct.

The second and third both concern Antoine Mourad. The second is an allegation that he coached the Yugoslav women’s elite team before their game against the GB Women’s master’s team. In his report, Antoine refutes this allegation and I see no reason to doubt him, but it does highlight the problems/conflicts that can arise if coaches leave themselves open to speculation of this kind. The third concerns Antoine’s alleged behaviour towards the Women’s elite team players – in particular his hugging/kissing them on the poolside. This is unprofessional behaviour for a coach and is something that he needs to work on if he is to continue coaching the Women’s elite team. As the BOA does not currently have a coaching scheme, we have no officially recognised coaches – and quite frankly, are unlikely to have them for some time. There is a desperate need for a coaching scheme so that our coaches are trained properly. There are coaching courses available that cover "general coaching skills" and I think that all of the coaches selected for Tasmania are sent on these courses as quickly as possible (paid for by the BOA) so that we at least have all our coaches using the same coaching standards.

 

Future

It is clear to me from what has stated in the questionnaires together with conversations that I have had with various players & officials that the current system does work but can work better. The idea of a General Manager being in charge of all the teams is a good one. I am less certain about the need for a co-manager layer in between the General Manager. The job of the general manager is to do all the non-coaching jobs (booking pool sessions, sending out information, getting sponsorship/funding for ALL teams, booking hotels, flights etc, ensuring that discipline is maintained at Championships). The job of a coach is to develop the team. I see no real need for a layer of co-managers between them and would recommend that those posts be dissolved. It may be that the workload of the General Manager is such that an Assistant may be needed. There will then be a clear chain of command:

General Manager

Coaches

Players

The General Manager would be the link with the BOA Committee as he would be in overall charge of the national squads. Apart from disciplinary matters, he would have no involvement in training sessions whatsoever. The coaches would be free to coach as they see fit and would have total control over their team (save when a player commits a disciplinary offence). Any training guidance, such as "going for gold" would be put together jointly by the coaches and left to the General Manager to distribute.

There are a number of areas highlighted by the questionnaires that the General Manager and coaches need to consider urgently – the chief one being funding. There are also a number of things that would be very useful for teams to have access to - particularly at Championships, chiefly – Doctor, Physiotherapist, masseur, etc for which either funding is required or persuasion of friends. Without something (cash) to tempt people we are unlikely to get these things. The same applies to access to sports science etc (I have a cousin who lectures at Loughborough University on sports psychology who I will attempt to get for a session or two). With only eight months effectively before we send teams to Tasmania, we need to move urgently on as many areas as possible. For the longer term, I recommend that a BOA sub-committee be set up to try to achieve all the things that the General manager/coaches are unable to implement. Unfortunately there is one last issue that needs to be aired and that is the ever-worsening situation between Antoine Mourad and elements of the Women’s Master’s team.

 

Antoine Mourad versus elements of the Women’s Master’s team

There is a long running history to this dispute. Rumours abound from the European Championships about Antoine’s alleged conduct and seem to have reached a point where certain people are ready to believe anything about Antoine. Antoine attitude to these people and his lack of man-management skills do not make it easy to calm the situation down – indeed they normally inflame them. Only one thing is certain it has to stop – NOW. There is little point in attempting to unify the GB squads with this petty war going on. It is too late in the day to try to mediate between the two sides (there is too much bad blood) but we now ought to say enough is enough, both sides must back down. Every day everybody has to work with people they do not like, however it does not stop them working together. I see no reason why both sides cannot do this. They should both be told to grow up. If this is unacceptable to either or both "factions" then hard decisions need to be taken for the overall good of the sport.

Grant Mosedale

 

European Championships report by Antoine Mourad

Grant,

Hereafter my report regarding the Euro and new set up, which should be presented at the next committee meeting. I will be away and can not attend to present myself:

 

KIT:

Zoe did a MAGNIFICENT job and I can not commend and thank her enough without her input I do not believe anything would have been achieved. She made sure all were consulted and always got a general agreement. The only party that did not do that was CLARE ASH, who despite various request from me, went ahead and printed the T-shirts and gave them in Slovenia without getting approval from Zoe nor myself on the design and no approval from Jane nor myself on cost. She has till today not submitted to myself a proper invoice.

 

Flights and accommodation:

I had originally booked all flights for all players and also accommodation and bus transfer. The women Masters cancelled their flights and some of them flew out directly and made their own way, which increased the cost of transport by bus per head. The accommodation was reasonable considering the price. A slight hiccup happened due to the Masters Women increasing their number by one 2 days before departure.

 

General behaviour:

I personally believe this was the best team spirit trip I have had.

All teams supported each other during important games. All players are

to be congratulated on finally beginning to realize we all play for

G.B. The 2 Elite teams always went out to dinner as team although separately.3 masters women to my knowledge always went out alone to dinner.

 

The GAMES:

All team performed well .1 believe the Men Elite behaviour during the play was not very good. They had more people on the side then the whole of all other teams put together. Something should be done about their level of fouling and discipline, I believe that should start by proper refereeing during games at Home.

The sad part is we had to split the women and had 2 average teams instead of a good one that could have won Gold (The Elite Women were the only team to score 2 against the Dutch girls :2/2 at half time: and were only down 1/0 against the French girls at half time. So bit more fitness and training and a medal is definitely in their sight at the coming world).

 

Tournament Org.

The Slovenian have had a bad time organising the tournament due to the War. They really tried their best. Our Women Masters were not allowed to play after the first Knock out seeding. I did get in front of Mary Nunn their approval to reverse the decision, only to be told the next day that it had to change again.

 

Rumors and more Rumors:

There has been a story circulating around about the Wednesday night ( Neil Birthday party). I had organised the party for Neil and asked the Old man to get the cake Unfortunately I was suffering from a severe Sinus problems (which lasted more than a week) and decided not to attend, as the pool was cold and I had to coach the girls for another 3 days. So I went to sleep. I got up at around 8 p.m and decided to go and have a sandwich. On my way out the ITALIAN Elite men were cooking some pasta. They kindly invited me to have some with their team ( BIBI LEONE can be contacted to verify this). During dinner the Italians were all fed up as they had not scored any goals during the world and the Euro, so I explained to them that there was more than one formation they could play and gave them the advice of trying the 1/3/2.They were not aware that there was different formation in Octopush. Having finished Dinner and the talk with the Italians .1 went down to phone my family. My wife was still at the Gym display so I hanged around downstairs waiting for her to return. There were the Yugoslav Men and women and ROB Schipper who were explaining to them how they should play The Dutch corner). A few Masters Women and One Elite Women players happened to return at that time and saw me downstairs. In their normal behaviour, they had to invent rumors and stories. (The Elite girl was omitted from the next game by the Captain and VC for being late). So to all those No I did not coach the Yugoslav and did not go out with them, The Italian men were with me.

I let people continue with their stories and inventions as it makes me feel even more SUPERIOR when those people with such low IQ level falls into silly gossip and still try everything to undermine me. When I know that what I have put behind the teams in term of time and commitment is second to none.

 

Forward:

The only way forward in my view is to have more people going for the sides and to have the Elite Coaches the first choice of players. If a player is not willing to play as requested then they should not be allowed to go for any team.

The Committee has to be fully behind the Coaches /managers and not try to compromise It is better we sent 2 strong teams (Elite) instead of 4 average one (Elite and Masters)

Kind regards

Antoine Mourad


Web Design by Reed Consulting (UK) Limited. Page last updated 24th August 1999.